My destinations, incidental or planned, include so far 4 continents; 12 countries and 12 US States. It is not that impressive, considering that it took me almost half a century to get to all of these places. But it is one of my dreams come true.
When I was a senior in high school, someone asked me what I would like to do in my life. Not as a career, just because. I wanted to explore the world, to wander through known and unknown places. This is a list of all of the places I got to so far.
I plan on seeing a lot more.
I was born and raised in Eastern Europe, in beautiful Transylvania, part of present-day Romania. You would think that I’ve visited most of Europe, but in the communist era, when I was growing up, we were not allowed to cross the border. Except on special occasions, when we could visit another Easter block country. That’s how I ended up in East Germany. For the rest of Europe, I had to wait.
Destinations: North America:
Almost by accident, only because I never say no to an opportunity to travel, I ended up in the US. I landed in New York, lived in New Jersey for about a year, then visited the Wild West and since both I and my new husband fell in love with it, we moved here. Not exactly to the Wild West, we still had to work for a living, so we chose Phoenix, AZ, as a home base. It proved to be a great base, for trips all over the world. We do have an international airport, it makes a difference.
Destinations: Central America
We made it to Costa Rica a few years ago, and explored some of this Central American country with our then ten-year-old daughter.
When my husband had to travel for work, he also happened to get an opportunity to go to Australia. With two young kids and a nine-month-old baby in tow, I joined him. We spent two weeks there, since he was able to take a few days off after his work journey.
Some of our best destinations anywhere are National Parks. I hiked through 39 National Parks in the US and Canada.
In the US:
- Canyon de Chelly National Monument
- Casa Grande National Monument
- Chiricahua National Monument
- Coronado National Monument
- Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
- Grand Canyon National Park
- Montezuma Castle National Monument
- Navajo National Monument aka Betatakin
- Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument
- Petrified Forest National Park
- Rainbow Bridge National Monument
- Saguaro National Park
- Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument
- Tumacacori National Historical Park
- Tuzigoot National Monument
- Walnut Canyon National Monument
- Wupatki National Monument
- Joshua Tree National Park
- Lassen Volcanic National Park
- Hovenweep National Monument
- Mesa Verde National Park
- Aztec Ruins National Monument
- Bandelier National Monument
- Chaco Culture National Historical Park
- Crater Lake National Park
- Lewis and Clark National Historical Park
- Oregon Caves National Monument
- Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area
- Edgar Alan Poe National Historic Site
- ArchesNational Park
- Bryce Canyon National Park
- Canyonlands National Park
- Capitol Reef National Park
- Zion National Park
- Mount Rainier National Park
- North Cascades National Park
- Olympic National Park
- Ross Lake National Recreation Area
- Banff National Park – Alberta
Our favorite destination is Mexico’s Yucatan peninsula. Here, I climbed pyramids and wandered through ruins of in 24 Ancient Maya Sites.
In Quintana Roo:
- Chichen Itza
- Balankanche Caves
- Ek Balam